Virtual Albuquerque
Return to Our Home Page
Tour By MapTour By ListThumbnail Tour

Visit Ski Apache

Visit the Inn of the Mountain Gods Championship Golf Course

Other Virtual Tours
Visit Virtual Santa FeOther Virtual CitiesFun Virtual Tours

Resources
Viewing iPIX® ImagesViewing Video MomentsHow iPIX® WorksVirtual Albuquerque Partner SitesContact Us at VirtualAlbuquerque.com

iPIX® Tours For
iPIX® Tours For Hotels and ResortsiPIX® Tours For Real EstateiPIX® Tours For New HomesOur Portfolio

Advertising
Advertise on Virtual Albuquerque

Albuquerque Store
Albuquerque Posters

Give us an idea for a New Location
Give us an idea for a New Location

Want to know when we add locations?
Signup for Update Notification

Tour By Map Tour By List Thumbnail Tour
A Virtual Tour of the
Old Town Plaza
Albuquerque, NM

Old Town Plaza

Old Town Plaza

iPIX Virtual Tours
iPIX Virtual Tours
"Step Inside the Picture"
iPIX Virtual Tours

SMALL, STANDARD and SUPERSIZE images require JAVA to be viewed.
Most computers already have it installed.
Turn off your Pop-Up Blocker to view SUPERSIZE images
To get JAVA from Sun Microsystems, go to www.JAVA.com
LARGE images require the iPIX Plug-In, click here!.
More about Viewing iPIX Images
Northwest View

SMALL
The Cannons

SMALL
Northeast View

SMALL
Southwest View

SMALL
Bandstand

SMALL
Southeast View

SMALL

In 1706, the villa of “Albuquerque” was founded by Don Francisco Cuervo Y Valdes, governor of the Spanish province of New Mexico. It was on the Camino Real (Royal Road), the route from Mexico City to Santa Fe. It became the seat of government for the Rio Abajo (Lower River) as well as the area’s agricultural center.

In 1821, Mexico declared its independence from Spain with New Mexico being part of the new nation. Albuquerque became a major stop on the Chihuahua Trail. General Kearny raised the flag of the United States of America over the Plaza in 1846. During the Civil War, a skirmish resulted in Albuquerque being the Confederate Capitol of the Territory of New Mexico for 36 days.

The arrival of the railroad was a major turning point for Albuquerque and Old Town. With the depot located 1 ½ miles east of the Plaza, “downtown” moved from the Plaza to “New Albuquerque” or “New Town”. The railroad brought many new settlers and the largest repair facility between Kansas and California.

Old Town continues to be an active Commercial, Residential and Community center. At its heart is the San Felipe de Neri Church.

 

This Page Viewed 28915 Times Since January 1, 2009.
Online July 11, 2003.
Tour By Map Tour By List Thumbnail Tour

Content provided by VirtualAlbuquerque.com, © 2003-2009 Douglas Aurand.
Hosted and Maintained by Multimedia Internet Services, Inc. , Albuquerque, New Mexico.

Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta Posters

Virtual Santa Fe - Is Now Online!

Home E-Mail Updates Tour By Map Tour By List About iPIX
Advertise on VirtualABQ Visit our VirtualABQ Partner Sites

VirtualAlbuquerque.com
Email: Info@VirtualAlbuquerque.com